Live Videos for Nonprofits
What is it?
Live videos are a continuous stream that allows the user to broadcast anything from an event to a visual blog. Facebook and Instagram both have live video features. Live streaming video has grown in popularity since it was introduced to these sites in 2016. Facebook live in particular receives 3x the engagement of traditionally shared videos. Marketers have been getting excited about Facebook and Instagram live videos because they are both easy ways to share candid and relatable content. Nonprofits use live video streaming to tell their stories, connect with donors and build authentic, real time, relationships.
How is it done?
1. Go to the News Feed, and tap the "Live" option which displays a camcorder icon
2. Give Facebook access to your camera and microphone if prompted
3. Choose your privacy setting
4. Write a compelling description that will pull viewers in
5. Tag friends, choose your location or add an activity
6. Set up camera view
7. Add lenses, filters, or writing to your video
1. Tap the camera icon in the top left of the screen or swipe right from anywhere in the feed.
2. Tap "Live" at the bottom of the screen.
3. Tap "Start Live Video"
Tips for the Best Live Broadcast:
1. Talk to your audience; respond to the comments they send in while you're live streaming.
2. Include a concise but descriptive title so your followers are enticed to click on the video.
3. Be real with your audience; followers appreciate authenticity!
4. It's ok to make mistakes! When you're broadcasting live there's no way everything will go perfectly. Keep it casual and laugh off any mistake or interruption.
5. Have a specific and interesting purpose. This will keep your video short and to the point.
Ideas for your nonprofit:
1. Broadcast a big event your nonprofit runs and keep viewers engaged with different event updates. Make sure to let them know where they can donate online!
2. Introduce some volunteers and have them tell their story of why they dedicate time to your nonprofit.
3. Interview some of the people who benefit from your nonprofit's work.
4. Broadcast a lesson on how to donate online or become a volunteer.
5. Make a major announcement! Hype this up in advance on social media so you have a big group of followers join in when you go live.
Live video marketing is the future of connecting with your audience. Live video gives an increased sense of interactivity with your content and lets you bring followers in on the action. Followers can comment on what is happening in the video and experience what you are broadcasting as your community of supporters.
If you have more questions about nonprofit strategy you can always reach out to the DipJar fundraising experts for help. It's what we love to do!